Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's Getting Kinda Toasty!!

I'm not sure how this snuck up on me, but it's getting kind of warm around here! It seems like a short time ago that I was freezing at night and wearing my cold weather gear for the first hour or two of daylight in the morning.  Now suddenly, it's warm again.  Last week, I was very comfortable, and it felt like a nice, moderate, Midwest summer.  This, week... not so much.  It's been up in the mid-90's, with a high of 97 predicted for tomorrow.  (And this is March!!!)  Apparently, the axiom here is the March goes in like a Lion, out like August.  On the plus side, it's stopped raining for a while.  It's starting to get pretty dusty again, but at least we're not slogging through the mud or dealing with flooded tents.  Also, I feel obliged to say, since I never could when we lived in Augusta, "At least it's a dry heat."  I don't think I ever fully appreciated the phrase before.  Usually, it's folks from Phoenix who are tossing this out, something like "It's so hot outside that your flesh blisters if you get exposed to direct sunlight... but at least it's a dry heat."  I don't think that dry heat really means that you sweat any less, it's just that your sweat evaporates from your clothes so quickly, you don't notice.  (So, net result = still kind of dirty and disgusting, just less slimy)  Thankfully, both my CHU and the clinic are air conditioned, so I don't spend too much time out in the elements.  My CHU's air conditioner is starting to get a little erratic.  It seems to have 2 settings: blowing ambient temperature air and icicles hanging from your nose.  Either one of these conditions could occur at any given thermostat setting, with no rhyme or reason to which one you get on any given day.  So, I've figured out that if I crack my windown to let in some warm air and hope that it stays on icicle setting for most of thie night, I usually do okay.
In other news, the deployment's starting to wind down now.  I'm past the halfway point, and have at least a ballpark idea of when I'll be coming home.  (As usual, I can't post online when that'll be, but it's getting closer every day.)  Cristin and I are starting to plan some trips for when I get back, and I'm getting ready to spend some quality time with her and Drew before I go back to work.  Hopefully, more on that at a later time. 
For those who didn't see it posted on Facebook, here's a picture of myself and some of our clinic staff posing wearing a bunch of wool stocking caps that a group of grandmothers from somewhere in the US knit and sent to us. Given the recent temperatures around here, the stocking caps didn't seem like the most practical articles of clothing. (Although they did come with instructions that said in warm water, they'd cool you head if you soaked them in cold water and then put them on.  Having experienced wet wool before, I haven't been brave enough to tough out the itchy head and try it.)  Either way, we figured if they made the effort to knit them, we ought to let them see a picture of the end result, which you see below.

No comments:

Post a Comment