Friday, January 29, 2010

I'm back!

So, after a month long hiatus, I'm finally back posting on the blog.  I've really got no excuse, as I've just been working around camp, doing the same work as always. I just haven't had an inspiration to post in a while.
For the most part, things are going well here, and I'm into a pretty good routine.  I've been working on slowly extending my running distance to get better endurance.  My record so far is a 15 mile run.  Unfortunately, my knees are starting to catch up to me, as I'm starting to develop Iliotibial Band Syndrome on my right side.  (Of course, I should have known this was going to happen.  It's not uncommon for me to see patients in clinic here with what our orthopedist has dubbed "Iraq Syndrome", which is what happens when previously physically inactive soldiers injure themselves by working out 3 hours a day and attempting to turn themselves into olympic athletes durng the extra spare time on their deployment.)  I had initially been hoping to run in a marathon that was scheduled over here.  Unfortunately, due to some schedule changes, I don't think that's going to happen.  Either way, I'm taking a break from running this week to give my body a chance to recover.
The weather here's taken a turn for the cold the last week.  Now, I'm sure folks reading this back in Illinois and Missouri may be a little underwhelmed, but it was down in the low 40's two nights ago.  I made the mistake of falling asleep with my window open and woke up freezing.  Again, compared to snow and ice-storms back home, not too  big a deal, but I had to break out some of the cold weather gear.
On the homefront, I still get to talk to or Skype with Cristin and Drew most days. I really think that Cristin ended up with the harder job on this deployment, as she's got Drew to look after in addition to the household responsibilities and her job at GLWACH. Drew's continuing to grow like a weed. Now, when we Skype he's aware enough to watch me on the computer screen and respond to my voice, and is starting to develop his own personality, which seems to be pretty happy most of the time.
 He's starting on solid foods this weekend, which should be an exciting experience to hear about. 
Well, for now, that's all I've got.  So, talk to you all later.


  1. It was nice of you to provide a link for your medical jargon!!!!

  2. The farthest I've ever run was 7.4 miles. That's less than half of your 15.